By Ron & Ann Mainse
We all know that marriage has its challenges and usually having fun is not even on our radar. During this Valentine’s month we thought it would be a good idea to remind you of the importance of having fun in your marriage.
Did you know that the average child laughs about 300 times a day and the average adult laughs only 15 times a day? We need to get the fun back! In his book, “Blueprints for a Solid Marriage,” author Dr. Steve Stephens writes, “Couples who know how to play and have fun together develop a bonding that can carry them through the most difficult of times.” So “having fun” is VERY good for your marriage!
When you think back to your dating time, “fun” was a huge part of your time together. You were always thinking of ideas of how to have fun. When we were in university in the states we used to go roller skating (or in Ron’s case, roller-dancing ... ya, he was stylin'!) :-).
But the years go by and with the daily grind of life, that creativity often flies out the window…and stresses from finances, work and kids fly right in! The question of “what can we do for fun?” gets replaced by “how can we just get through another day?”
We’ve ALL been there! So now it’s time to do something about it, and we want to help you do just that. So here are a few ideas…
- First of all, you have to make time for fun. A date night once a week is a great place to start. Put it in your calendars – and even set up fun alerts as reminders of this “very important” appointment!
- Take turns planning the night and get creative! Dinner and a movie are nice but can get expensive. How about buying a carton of your favourite gourmet ice cream (you know, the kind you don’t have to share with the kids!) and find a favourite movie on Netflix… or light some candles and watch your wedding video.
- What about dusting off your favourite card game or board game… or learn a new one! And don’t be afraid to “personalize” the rules! The winner gets BLANK… and YOU fill in the blank! (And you know what… those blanks can be fun too!)
- A few more ideas… dance in the living room… play hide-and-seek… Or… go sledding or hiking… or go out for a coffee and plan your ideal dream vacation.
- And don’t forget your friends! Sometimes a double-date with another couple helps to rekindle the fun side you thought you’d lost.
Whatever you do, remember that the idea is to have fun! So, do something today to play your way to a healthier marriage!
And always remember… closer to God means closer to each other.
~ Ron & Ann